Thursday, July 25, 2013

Drugstore Makeup travel essentials (for hot weather)

My hot weather and travel makeup is much simpler than my everyday makeup, but when I'm out in the sun all day the last thing I want is to feel my makeup sliding off my face. Instead I wear these few basic products to make myself feel more presentable but still like my skin can breathe!


1. Face powder with an SPF. 
As someone with oily skin, sunscreen and foundations just do not agree with me in the heat, so I use a powder as a substitute. Also, my skin tends to be better in the sun (in terms of not breaking out) and with a bit of a tan I don't really feel the need for foundation



2. Waterproof mascara

Personally I use waterproof mascara year-round, but it's definitely a must if you're going to be getting in the water.


3. Eyelash Curler
Not everyone will agree that this is an essential, but I curl my eyelashes even on days when I'm just wearing mascara because I feel it makes my eyes look so much more awake.

4. Chapstick


I cannot be bothered with lipsticks or anything of that nature when I'm travelling. They'll end up melting in the heat and getting ruined. I love this Nivea chapstick in particular because it is pigmented enough to double up as a cheek stain and contains SPF.

5. Concealer
I only really wear concealer in the evenings when I'm on holiday and if I need it. I don't use a special concealer in the heat, just my favourite Revlon Photoready concealer with a bit of powder over the top.




Make up removal

What you use to remove your makeup (particularly in the summer) is just as important as the products you're using.

Personally I use a homemade olive oil makeup remover for my eye makeup like this one. The idea of tugging at my eyes with cleansing wipes or rubbing cleansers containing alcohol all over my eyes (read the labels - even most "gentle" cleansers contain some kind of alcohol) just doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

When I did use eye makeup removed though I really like MAC's Tranquil Cleanse Off Oil:

For my face I tend to use a cleanser with salicylic acid just to make sure I'm killing any bacteria that's built up on my face from the excess oil (ew). I love the Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash year-round but it makes my face feel even more fresh and soft in the summer months.


That's it! I don't bother with foundations, blush, eyeshadow etc during the summer months. I used to pack them when I went on vacation but as soon as I went out with a full face of makeup I instantly regretted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...